Yes, that’s what this is, raw liver and V8 smoothie… and yes, I drank it. Every day for a week, actually. And about every other day the second week of my post partum recovery.
The concoction is an infamous recommendation of my midwife Carol Gautschi’s. I knew liver was a power food, and that if she recommended anything there is darn good reason for it, but I was pretty amazed to actually look it up and read about the power house of benefits from consuming liver. It’s truly nature’s multivitamin.
Referencing the Weston A. Price Foundation:
“So what makes liver so wonderful? Quite simply, it contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food. In summary, liver provides:
- An excellent source of high-quality protein
- Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
- All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12
- One of our best sources of folic acid
- A highly usable form of iron
- Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
- An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
- CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
- A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.”